Our Red Dragon Combat Swords feature high carbon EN42J spring steel blades that have been forged and tempered to perform like their historical counterparts. They have a core hardness of 45 HRc approx. with an edge hardness of 50 HRc approx. The hilts feature authentically styled guards and pommels constructed from steel, and wooden grips that are masterfully wrapped in leather cord for an aesthetic yet comfortable finish. They come complete with leather-wrapped wooden scabbards and authentically styled integrated leather belts.
Our Temple Church sword is a replica of a sword found in the River Thames in London. The sword, forged in the period between 1300-1350, was discovered opposite Temple Church, the headquarters of the Knights Templar in England. During the 14th century, the gardens of the Temple in London ran down to the river’s edge where this sword was discovered. The discovery location, coupled with the crosses in the pommel, suggests that it is a Templar knight’s sword thrown into the river when the Order of the Temple was dissolved by Edward II in 1314.
The inlaid copper alloy crosses on the pommel are the same as those on the two-handed sword of Edward III at Windsor Castle. Furthermore, just below the guard, there is an inlaid mark in the form of a dagger. The same mark can be seen on Edward III’s sword. It is therefore entirely possible that both swords were made by the same swordsmith.
This is a large sword designed for powerful, slashing blows. It features a long, well-tempered, and flexible high carbon steel blade; the long fuller serving to greatly reduce its weight. The simple cross-guard is forged from steel and typical of the period. The waisted wooden handle is tightly wrapped in brown cord for a durable and secure grip. The large Oakeshott Type K steel pommel features an inlaid copper alloy cross and is held in place by peen block. The leather-covered wooden scabbard features an integrated leather belt and is embossed with the Cross Pattée of the Templar Order, and inscribed with the words “In Nomine Domini” (In the name of the Lord).